Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Flea Market Find

Mr. Study and I enjoy going to the flea market on Saturday mornings.  It's really become something we enjoy and do consistently together.  Some days there is nothing to buy and other times you could find lots of treasures. We've bought linens, enamel ware, a flare box, a china serving platter, a vintage Oklahoma State University pennant, and a beautiful wood bowl just to name a few of our favorites  Recently I spotted this oak end table that was priced at $25.  I haggled the lady down to $18 because it was pretty wobbly and would need some work.  

The table was in decent shape.  Minus a few stains, wobbly legs, and split top.  I started this restoration project by removing the screws from the wood top.  This immediately made the top split in two pieces. 

Once the top was removed, I began loosening the "x" from the legs that was holding the top on.  I didn't want to remove it completely.  Only enough to get some glue down inside. About 3/4".

The next step was clamping the base.  The joints around the base were quite loose as well.  One trick for getting wood glue in tight spaces is a syringe. You can pick one up from your local drug store. I keep it rubber banded around the glue bottle, otherwise it would become lost or stuffed in the junk drawer.

When I repair furniture or other projects that need to be clamped, I always leave them overnight.  Sure, it takes patience but it's worth the firm foundation you are left with. While I was waiting on these joints to dry I worked on the top.

This is one of the pieces from the split.  Since it has a nice groove in the wood, I simply used my Dremel and sanded the glue so the pieces would fit together like new.  The Dremel once again saved me so much time.  I had this sanded out in less than 5 minutes. You can see the top part is sanded, while the other side of the groove still has glue on it.

After sanding, I applied a light coat of wood glue on each piece of the table top.  Then clamped them together.  Overnight, of course!

It was important that I fill the holes left from the screws.  The screws had stripped the wood when I removed the top and I knew it wasn't going to be a nice tight fit without some help. I'm not sure where I learned this, but I've used it on other projects like replacing the strike plates in our home. Stick a few toothpicks in some wood glue and stuff them in the old hole.  You want a tight fit.

This is now a weapon!  Really though, wait overnight.  I know, I know...patience is a virtue. After these are completely dry, chisel them off to the base.  If you let this dry the right amount of time they will come off cleanly.  Otherwise if you rush this and the glue is wet, the toothpicks will bend or just pop out of the holes.

 Now the fun part.  Putting it back together.  I glued the top on the base and then put the screws into the newly filled holes.  By doing this, it gave the screws something to grip on to.

Now the REALLY fun part.  The reveal!  

Ohh la la, bask in all it's mission oak richness.  Go ahead, click on that picture and enjoy the deliciousness in full size!

This is one heavy and solid table.  It was a great $18 purchase.  I like to think that it has some great story behind it.  I'm assuming it was handmade as there were no markings on it and it had a simple and classic make to it.

Our daffodils are in full bloom now and I couldn't resist these cheery guys. Not to mention how wonderful they smell.

No comments:

Post a Comment