Monday, February 20, 2012

Goodness Gracious, Great Balls of Fire

Ever have a stack of wood in your fireplace that will not start?  Or maybe it's just me. My husband always builds the fires, but when I try to do it, it doesn't go as well.  I'm no boyscout! So, I found a tried and true method for a fire starter that will use up old candles and dryer lint. 

Here's what you will need. 

- Leftover candles or any other kind of wax.  
-  Dryer lint.  Just save it in a bag as you go.
-  Muffin pan.  I bought one at the dollar store or use aluminum.

Melt the wax in a hot water bath or in the microwave.  Just remember if your candles have metal in the base of the wick (most do), don't microwave them.  Unless you want to celebrate the fourth of July in your microwave! That's why I use a hot water bath. I also had some paraffin that I added to this batch.

While you are waiting on the wax to melt, divide the lint into each of the muffin tins.

Once the wax is melted pour the wax over the lint.  They don't need to be soaked, but their needs to be enough wax to hold the lint together.

 At this point I put the tray in the freezer.  This will allow your fire starters to pop right out of the muffin tin.  I keep mine in an enamel bowl by the fireplace. When your ready build a fire, throw one or two of these in with the wood.  Light the fire starters and walah!

You'll find that they fire starters burn longer, which allows your wood to get started.  No more newspapers and blowing to get the fire going.  Now, sit back and relax!  Get a cup of coffee and enjoy your fire.

No comments:

Post a Comment